Pages

Thursday 6 April 2017

New Shoes! Kalenji Elio Feel Trail

I decided that after payday I would treat myself to some new shoes as since taking up running I have worn a pair of cheap trainers I got for going to the gym over 10 years ago, and a pair of Magnum Uniform Service Trainers I picked up off eBay originally to use as approach shoes when climbing. I don't really think about my feet at all when I am running on hard services so I probably keep the Magnums for now when I am running on the roads, but I have noticed a bit of slipping and sliding in the mud so thought I would look at dedicated trail shoes (trails are more fun anyway).

I popped to Decathlon after work as it is convenient and their budget own brand gear is rather quite good for what you pay, with a shortlist of four:

  1. Kalenji Elio Feel Trail
  2. Kalenji Kiprun Trail XT6
  3. Asics Gel Kanaku 2
  4. Kalenji Kiprace Trail 3

I was focusing on 2 and 3 on the list as I was after an aggressive tread pattern, the Elio Feel wasn't as extreme and the Trail 3 was very similar to the XT6.  When I got there I couldn't find the Kiprace Trail 3 so that was quickly ruled out, and the Asics Gel wasn't doing it for me - there was not as much to the sole as I expected.  I tried the Elio Feel Trail on and was surprised by how comfortable and light it was, and I really liked the way the sole flexed. I then tried the XT6 on and it just felt wrong, which I figured out to be the 9mm drop rather than the 6mm drop.  If they had the Trail 3 in at this point I would have been looking at that as it also has a 6mm drop, but it wasn't there so I couldn't.  After a little mental back and forth I decided to get the Feel Trails as they were cheap and even if they do not tick every box for me on trail running I can always upgrade later safe in the knowledge I will get plenty of life out of these.


Yes, that is my cat's leg. She wanted to be in the picture.


First impressions: As I said they are light, 270g in size 8.5.  The soles are very flexible but seem to have good grip, and a feature I found odd at first but seems to work is the fact the tongue is built in to the shoe on one side, and the other side held captive on elastic.  This seems to help with positioining and stop it slipping to one side.



Of course I couldn't wait to get them on my feet and get them muddy.  I actually spent all morning wearing them and they are super comfy.  Anyway, the opportunity arose and I decided to go and noodle around on Loxley Common as it has a good variety of terrain and I know of some slippery muddy banks in there...


Out on a run then and I start off on tarmac. They feel grippy and fast, and I can already see that if those don't work for me off road I will use them on road.  They have a bit of cushioning in the heel in case you do heel strike, but I found myself naturally landing on my midfoot. When I hit a hill I could really feel the flex helping, allowing me to dig in and drive up the hill on my toes with high turnover. Hills turn out to be something I'm ok with which came as quite a surprise.

After about 1km I turned off up what was a very muddy path last time I took it.  It appears to have dried out quickly in the recent fine weather, but I was still able to feel great grip on loose dry mud and on dry stone, very useful for those technical trails on top of the peaks.. Done as teep bank and then straight up the other side I felt no slipping and was very sure footed, and then hit an undulating section with plenty of mud - not ankle deep peat on top of the moors, but certainly thick gloopy brown stuff.  Again no hint of slipping.

It was then on to a section of uphill loose fine gravel which was no challenge before a great fast downhill section on hard dry soil and gravelly paths.  Still feeling sure footed I had the confidence to lean in to the hills and take them at speed even on the steep twisty sections, being rewarded with a best ever mile (7:37) and kilometre (4:37) on what was supposed to be a gentle run. Back on to the roads, and a final push for home trying to keep my pace under 5:00/km (don't forget that sub 25:00 Parkrun target...)

Am I happy with my purchase? Yes, yes I am.  They shall be getting a thorough workout at the White Peak Trail Run and if needs be there will be updates over time but for now I recommend them to people looking for an entry in to trail running on a budget.


No comments:

Post a Comment